How to Clean Gold Chain at Home? DIY Tips That Always Work
Gold is one of the most beautiful and timeless metals, and because it is simply graceful you can wear it any day anywhere.
So, when we talk about gold jewelry pieces, we notice that gold chains are one of the most favorite pieces of ornament that women and even men sometimes prefer to wear. But the thing is that usually, gold jewelry develops a buildup and discoloring when it is being worn for a very long time. Even if there’s not much discoloring, you must happen to notice that your gold chain has started losing its sparkle or shine. And this is the reason that professional jewelers usually suggest getting gold jewelry regularly cleaned.
Which gold is best for the chain?
Well, as a rule of thumb you should always prefer 14k or 18k gold to any other alloy. In fact, before purchasing it is better to ask the jeweler about the purity of gold contained in the chain. The higher the purity of gold, the better it will resist any kind of tarnishing and discoloration.
Importance of a Gold chain in jewelry
In fact, gold chains are very important in jewelry because they add a classic look to the whole ensemble. In addition, these chains can also be paired with a variety of necklaces and pendants. What is more, some people really like it when their charms and other jewelry pieces are hanging from a long chain. And though you can go for any color gold chain, yellow gold is the most popular one.
How can you identify pure gold?
Pure gold is usually marked with the karat hallmark, and this will help you to determine the purity of gold in your chain. For example, 14k or 18k gold is quite pure, while 10k or 12k gold is not as pure. In fact, anything below 10k is not really considered genuine gold jewelry.
There are a few methods you can use to test if the gold in your chain is really pure or not. One of the most popular ways is using acid. Another way is using a magnet. If the magnet sticks, it means that there is some other metal alloyed with gold and this will reduce the gold’s purity.
Do DIY tips always work for Gold jewelry?
Yes, they do. In fact, many of us like DIY tips because these are simpler and quite easy to apply at home without the help of any professional jeweler. However, there is a big question about if these would work for your gold chain or not. To answer this question, you have to keep in mind that whether the method being suggested would work or not depends on the type of gold chain you are trying to clean.
We know how much you all love your gold jewelry and we have noticed that most of the times people are confused about how to clean gold chains at home, but now you don’t have to worry anymore as we are here today with some of the simple and easy DIY tips and tricks that would help you in cleaning your gold chain at home without putting too much effort.
Here are some of the most useful DIY tips that will help you in cleaning your gold chain.
1. Use Warm Water
Rinsing your jewelry with warm water can help you get off the discoloration from your chain. It will help you remove any form of buildup and grime from your chain. So, to clean your gold chain with warm water you need to follow these steps.
- Firstly, you need to take a bowl and fill it with warm water. The water should not be moderate nor should it be lukewarm.
- Now, put 2-3 drops of your dishwashing soap or detergent in the water.
- Once, you are done mixing your soap with water you can put your gold chain into it.
- After placing it in the bowl for 5 minutes, start rubbing it gently with your fingers. You can also use a toothbrush for better cleaning.
- Now, take your gold chain out and clean it with a soft cotton cloth.
This way, you can easily clean your gold chain without any hassle.
2. Using Toothpaste
When we are cleaning our jewelry, we should always look for ingredients that would not harm our jewelry. Using toothpaste to clean gold chains at home is proved to be a good method of washing off any kind of rust from your chain.
- The first thing you have to do is take any regular toothpaste and mix it in water. The water should be more than the amount of toothpaste you are using.
- Once, you are done making the paste, make sure to grab a toothbrush.
- Now, start scrubbing your chain by putting the mixture of toothpaste and water on it.
- Scrub your toothbrush slowly and gently.
- After 7-10 minutes, wash your gold chain with clean water, and to dry it use a clean soft cloth.
3. Using Baking Soda
Baking Soda seems to have a very immediate effect on rubbing off the grime or dirt from your gold chain. One important thing you need to keep in mind is that you should not use baking soda or vinegar on the gold pieces that are stones or pearls as embellishment. The reason behind this logic is that generally, vinegar destroys the enamel coating of gemstones or embellishment, which as a result makes your jewelry lose its gleam and sparkle. So, only wash the gold jewelry that is plain and has no stone or other metal embellished on it.
- The first step is to take half a cup of water and mix it with three parts baking soda.
- Keep mixing the baking soda and water till the time you get a thick paste.
- Now you a cotton swab or a soft cloth to apply the paste on your chain.
- When your chain gets fully covered in the mixture, you may put it into a clean bowl.
- Now, take white vinegar and pour it into the bowl.
- After a maximum of 5 minutes, wash your gold chain with water.
- Lastly, dry it with a clean cloth.
4. Baking Soda and Dish Soap
Another method to remove the buildup from your gold chain is the use of baking soda with the dish detergent.
- Start with pouring one cup of water into the bowl.
- After that, add a teaspoon of soda to the bowl and mix it well.
- Now, add one teaspoon of any dish soap you use in the bowl.
- Thoroughly mix the ingredients until you get a good paste and the mixture is fully combined.
- Take your gold chain and place it in the bowl for 20 minutes.
- Keep in mind to scrub the chain very gently with an unused toothbrush.
- And the last step is to rinse it with water and then dry it.
5. Using Alcohol
Any original gold jewelry would not be damaged by alcohol, that’s why if your gold is pure then it is safe to use alcohol to clean it. But again make sure that there must be no embellishment of pearls, gemstones and opal on your chain.
To get your gold chain cleaned, follow these steps one by one.
- Firstly take a clean bowl and place your chain in it.
- Now, use 91% isopropyl alcohol and pour it into the bowl with your jewelry piece.
- Use a soft swab to clean the chain gently for 3-5 minutes.
- Keep the chain in the bowl of alcohol overnight.
- Next morning, take your chain out, and once it is dry polish it with a lint-free cloth.
6. Using a Commercial Cleaner
If you don’t want to do any of the above-mentioned methods by yourself, then there is always an option for you to purchase a commercial cleaner.
There are many jewelry cleaners present in the market these days, and all you have to do is choose the one that is best for you.
7. Using Soap
Using soap is another way to clean your gold chain, but it may not be very effective for heavy oxidation. Also, the soap that you are using must be a gentle and moisturizing one so that at the time of washing your jewelry it does not harm its shine and finish. The first step is to take a large bowl and fill it with lukewarm water.
Now, add a mild soap to the water and mix it well until you form a good paste.
Next, take your gold chain and dip it into the mixture that you have formed in the bowl for 5 minutes.
Keep washing your chain with freshwater till all of the soap is washed off.
Lastly, dry your chain with a cloth and enjoy its sparkling shine!
- Always use an unbristled brush while cleaning gold.
- Clean your gold chain every once a month.
- Do not use any dish detergent with abrasive chemicals as an ingredient in it.
Now, you know that you don’t need any fancy jeweler to get your gold chain or even any other piece of gold jewelry cleaned and we can guarantee you that these methods are genuinely going to help you get the glam and shine of your gold chains back.
So, what are waiting for? Go and polish your gold jewelry without spending any extra money on it and do not forget to give us your feedback.
- Sahibzada Junaid